Comedy, insight, joy and heartbreak as we begin our journey for 8 conference wins and a 2nd MAC championship.

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Turner Gill is a Jayhawk





Gasp...we knew this day would come, but it still hurts...because we are selfish, and we don't know where our program will go without Turner.  However, before I talk about us...lets talk about the man.

In 2006, I met the man, who was quiet down to earth, and genuine.

Some coaches you know are out for money, legacy and fame. Turner was a man who was baffled when he was forced to pick a new design for UB football..."I'm a football coach and now I have to do fashion design"  he said something to that effect.  I know me as a coach would take the opporutnity to do something iconic, Turner, just picked colors and went back to teaching and coaching.



Turner's philosophy of family, really resonated with a locker room that was raised on a culture of war.  For two years I watched star players finding themselves hurt in mid August, while coaches and players on the other side of the ball celebrated, I thought really?  We are on the same team.   Then I watched in disgust as that war like atmosphere failed to recreate those big hits when facing opposition.  Turner came in, and instantly, family and belief were instilled into everyone.

Under other coaches, losses were like like battlefield losses, speaking of opponents was taboo, and infighting was constant, everyone was on edge. I was yelled at, for finding joy in an otherwised joyless 1-11 season, but that was the culture.  I remember sitting next to Jamal Chisam, a freshman then as he talked to his family about being a loser, for the first time in his life, just being an loser and hating it, it opened my eyes, losing, was a culture and no one player could stop it, but one man could.

Turner took losses hard, harder than anyone I think as he questioned whether he made the right choice to come to Buffalo.  I respect that he never imposed that on others, he preached positivity and on Monday he would be all smiles, but in my season with Turner, I saw him lose 10 times, and it was touching, real emotion always more touching... like as a kid you would rather see your father mad than your mother cry...losing with Turner  was like making your mother cry.

When I left UB it was hard for me, because despite the losses, I never doubted that Turner was the man for the job.  Going into the MAC Championship, I knew UBelieve was enough to take us to the championship.

Now, I am sure he will succeed if the people at Kansas give him the chance to do it.  He is a great man who has defied all odds to follow his dream of building the dreams of young men around him.  I wish him all the best in his future and I sincerely hope he shows Nebraska what they passed over in Big 12 conference play next year.

But, Turner will always be Buffalo's coach and Buffalo will always welcome Turner home.  And Turner there is no place like home...

No comments:

Post a Comment